lucene-dev mailing list archives

From JOAQUIN.DELG...@ORACLE.COM
Subject Re: "Advanced" query language
Date Fri, 16 Dec 2005 00:20:26 GMT
Mark,

This is very cool. When I was at TripleHop we did something very similar where both query
and results conformed to an XML Schema and we used XML over HTTP as our main vehicle to do
remote/federated searches with quick rendering with stylesheets.

That however is the first piece of the puzzle. If you really want to go beyond search (in
the traditional sense) and be able to perform more complex operations such as joines and iterations
over items from the stream of XML results you are getting you should consider implementing
an XQuery Full-Text engine with Lucene adopting the now standard XQuery language.

Here is the pointer to the working draft on the W3C working draft on XQuery 1.0 and XPath
2.0 Full-Text:
http://www.w3.org/TR/xquery-full-text/

Now I'm part of the task force editing this draft so your comments are very much welcomed.

-- J.D.