lucene-dev mailing list archives

From markharw00d <markharw...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: "Advanced" query language
Date Sun, 04 Dec 2005 09:03:53 GMT
Paul Elschot wrote:

>Would it be possible to privide such a GUI automatically
>(by introspection) given a set of Query classes of which objects
>can be mixed to form a query?

Certainly possible - I've seen app servers with automatic GUI test
clients which can introspect an EJB interface and let you construct
instances of the data objects that need to be passed. As generic tools
they can be clunky to use so it's definitely a developer-level tool,
(Luke ?)  not an end-user level tool. I wonder if it's worth considering
when developers have IDEs with decent autocomplete/integrated Javadoc
hints.

If you were to provide an end user-friendly generic client I suspect
you'd need metadata about not just the Query objects but also the
documents in the index e.g to offer drop-down lists of values for
certain fields in the GUI. Again, possible, but you'd have to ask
yourself if it would just be simpler to code a custom GUI for your users
in each case.