lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Yonik Seeley <ysee...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: compatibility of Lucene 1.9
Date Wed, 09 Nov 2005 14:39:54 GMT
I think the intention has been to be as backward compatible as
possible with 1.9, and that's why there should still be a 1.9 and 2.0
(removing all the deprecated stuff will break tons of things).  Patch
releases should strive to be a 100% drop in replacement, but that's
not a realistic requirement for major releases.  The simplest example
is adding a new method to a public interface... you need to do it
sometimes, but it breaks compatibility.

As far as 1.9 goes, most apps should be fine... but I don't think we
can advertise it as 100% just because changes were confined to expert
level stuff (and what constitutes expert level is kind of subjective
in any case).

-Yonik
Now hiring -- http://forms.cnet.com/slink?231706