lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: bytecount as String and prefix length
Date Tue, 01 Nov 2005 08:52:17 GMT
I wrote:

> I've got one more idea... time to try overriding readString and
> writeString in BufferedIndexInput and BufferedIndexOutput, to take
> advantage of buffers that are already there.

Too complicated to be worthwhile, it turns out.  I think it's time to
throw in the towel.  Frustrating, because I was shooting for a win-
win solution (bytecounts and valid UTF-8 both make things a lot
easier on the Perl side).  My valid-UTF-8 patches from a month ago
perform better than the current Java implementation, but bytecounts
make for slower indexing.  Time to re-rethink the goal of index-
compatibility.  How about, compatible for ascii-only indexes?  :|

Marvin Humphrey
Rectangular Research
http://www.rectangular.com/