lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: compatibility of Lucene 1.9
Date Wed, 09 Nov 2005 18:47:11 GMT

On Nov 9, 2005, at 6:19 AM, Erik Hatcher wrote:

> If not, then our next release version should just be 2.0 and skip
> 1.9, don't ya think?

FWIW... One reason I haven't been persistent or hurried about the
UTF-8-clean/speedup patches is because they aren't backwards
compatible, and thus should not be considered prior to a 1.9
release.  The other is that I suspect that given sufficient effort,
byte-count Lucene strings will win out over char-chount Lucene
strings -- we'll know after I tinker with the merge process and
submit a diff.  Again, I haven't been rushing -- I'm finishing up the
Perl/C port of the org.apache.lucene.index package to familiarize
myself with all the nooks and crannies first.

If you go directly to 2.0, when will the next opportunity be to
introduce a backwards-compatibility-killing index format change?

Marvin Humphrey
Rectangular Research
http://www.rectangular.com/