lucene-dev mailing list archives

From jian chen <chenjian1...@gmail.com>
Subject lucene inter-process locking question
Date Tue, 08 Nov 2005 00:17:05 GMT
Hi, Lucene Developers,
 Just got a question regarding the locking mechanism in Lucene. I see in
IndexReader, first there is synchronized(directory) to synch up
multi-threads, then, inside, there is the statement for grabbing the
commit.lock.
 So, my question is, could the multi-thread synch be also done with
commit.lock? In other words, I don't understand why synchronized(directory)
is there meanwhile commit.lock could do both in and inter-process locking?
 Could anyone enlighten me about it?
 Thanks so much in advance,
 Jian