lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: bytecount as String and prefix length
Date Wed, 02 Nov 2005 04:52:28 GMT

On Nov 1, 2005, at 9:51 AM, Doug Cutting wrote:

> Another approach might be to, instead of converting to UTF-8 to
> strings right away, change things to convert lazily, if at all.
> During index merging such conversion should never be needed.

!!

There ought to be some gains possible there, then.  No predictions as
to how much, though.

> You needn't do this systematically throughout Lucene, but only
> where it makes a big difference.  For example, if you could avoid
> strings in SegmentMerger.mergeTermInfos() it might make a huge
> difference.  This might be as simple as changing SegmentMergeInfo
> to use a TermBuffer instead of a Term.  Does that make sense?

Abundant sense.  I'm not as familiar with SegmentMerger as I am with
other parts of the org.apache.lucene.index package, because I haven't
ported it yet.  But conceptually I understand exactly why this should
require fewer resources.

I'll take a swing at SegmentMerger and submit a comprehensive diff.

Thanks for the suggestions,

Marvin Humphrey
Rectangular Research
http://www.rectangular.com/