lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Highlighter using spans
Date Sun, 13 Nov 2005 18:49:09 GMT

On 13 Nov 2005, at 05:38, markharw00d wrote:
> I posted what I thought would be the best approach to fixing this
> here along with pointers to some existing code:
>    http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=lucene-user&m=112496111224218&w=2

SpansExtractor, unfortunately, doesn't take the field to be
highlighted into account.  Given a some text to highlight, it would
seem generally desirable to only highlight a specific fields worth of
spans.

For my immediate needs, I only have to highlight the full text with
no fragmenting and it must be field aware.  I was able to achieve
this with just a bit of custom code that doesn't really apply
generically.  It would be good, though, to have a general framework
for converting a Query to a SpanQuery and also to extract field-
specific Spans - though at this point my consulting code isn't
general purpose enough yet.  Perhaps at some point in the future I
can distill some of it into the Highlighter codebase though.

     Erik