lucene-dev mailing list archives

From markharw00d <markharw...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: Highlighter using spans
Date Sun, 13 Nov 2005 10:38:51 GMT
Hi Erik,
I posted what I thought would be the best approach to fixing this here
along with pointers to some existing code:
    http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=lucene-user&m=112496111224218&w=2

Unfortunately I've been way too caught up in other work lately to
implement this and this particular "itch" hasn't been high on my list of
things for me to scratch.

 >>and hope to be able to merge this back into Highlighter  in some way
in the future.

The current highlighter has some stuff that may be generally useful but
the fragmenting code would certainly have to change to avoid breaking
span "runs".

I see there was some discussion recently about "queries as filters" for
non relevance-ranked criteria eg RangeQueries which seems to make sense.
Once rewritten as filters these sets of criteria will not be as easily
reverse-engineered to a set of terms for use in highlighting. I suspect
most people won't want to highlight these non relevance-ranked terms
anyway so they can probably be ignored for highlighting purposes?

Cheers,
Mark