lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Highlighter using spans
Date Sun, 13 Nov 2005 22:49:53 GMT
On 13 Nov 2005, at 16:34, Jason Calabrese wrote:
> Adding Span and Phrase support tot the highlighter is something
> that we've
> been needing in my project for a while.
>
> Would adding support for spans also add support for phrases?

The idea is to modify Highlighter to utilize the SpanQuery
capability, via getSpans(), to produce the regions that match.  This
requires that all queries, except BooleanQuery, be converted to an
equivalent SpanQuery.  It's pretty simple to convert a PhraseQuery to
a SpanQuery, and Mark's SpanExtractor does this very thing.  (note
that a PhraseQuery and SpanNearQuery have some edge cases where they
are not entirely equivalent, when slop is involved).  So yes, if the
Highlighter supports SpanQuery's, it would be possible to highlight
phrases accurately.

     Erik