lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Goetz <br...@quiotix.com>
Subject Re: Capitalized Method Names?
Date Fri, 25 Nov 2005 18:51:41 GMT
> Inherited from JavaCC's CharStream.
>
> On 11/25/05, Robert Engels <rengels@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> > I noticed that there a few Capitalized method names in the FastCharStream?
> >
> > Is there a reason for this? It is not according to Java standards.

There are a lot of seriously nonstandard conventions used in JavaCC,
because JavaCC was written very early, before the conventions emerged
or were fully understood.

One that is serious is TokenMgrError.  Error is not for program-level
errors, but for serious JVM errors.  I personally don't think the "too
much code depends on it" argument is strong enough to justify
continuing "errors" like this, but past atttempts to change it have
met with strong resistence.