lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Elschot <paul.elsc...@xs4all.nl>
Subject Re: svn commit: r332747 - in /lucene/java/trunk: ./ src/java/org/apache/lucene/search/regex/ src/test/org/apache/lucene/search/regex/
Date Tue, 15 Nov 2005 07:54:44 GMT
On Tuesday 15 November 2005 00:04, Doug Cutting wrote:
> ehatcher@apache.org wrote:
> > +23. Added regular expression queries, RegexQuery and SpanRegexQuery.
> > +    Note the same term enumeration caveats apply with these queries as
> > +    apply to WildcardQuery and other term expanding queries.
> > +    (Erik Hatcher)
>
> I don't like adding more error-prone stuff like this.  Giving folks
> something that sounds really useful but blows up in many cases is not a
> good idea.  We should fix all of these before we add more, no?
>
> I would be in favor of converting all of the term-expanding queries to
> be constant-scoring.  A filter class could easily be implemented that

I think loosing the field boosts for PrefixQuery and friends would not be
advisable. Field boosts have a very big range and from that a very big
influence on the score and the order of the results in Hits.
TermQuery relies on field boost and document term frequency, so
having PrefixQuery ignore these would also lead to unexpected
surprises.

Regards,
Paul Elschot