lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Ahmed El-dawy <aseld...@gmail.com>
Subject Many indexes Vs One Index
Date Wed, 12 Oct 2005 12:28:58 GMT
Hello,
  I am indexing many txt files using lucene. First, I used an index
for each txt file. This allowed me to select some indexes for search
to limit search range. I used MultiSearcher to search all of them. The
problem is that it took a long time to retrieve documents because they
are scattered among many index files. So, I tried to index all of them
in one big index and added a field to tell where this document come
from. It worked fine, but search results were in different order for
the same query!!! I did not change anything except grouping all
documents in one index. Does this affect ordering of search results in
any way?
By the way, the MultiSearcher solution gave me better search results.

--
regards,
Ahmed Saad