lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: regex-based query contribution
Date Fri, 14 Oct 2005 06:29:01 GMT

: A more general solution would be to use a subclass of BooleanQuery that
: provides a Weight that flattens all the weights of the subqueries, for example
: to the maximum weight, and for the rest works like the usual Weight of
: BooleanQuery.

I'm not grasping all of the ideas in this thread completley, but I
just wanted to point out that what you are describing sounds similar to a
MaxDisjunctionQuery (JIRA seems to be down right now, so i can't fine
the issue number).

It's never really occured to me before, but I think MaxDisjunctionQuery
could be a good choice for expanded queries.  If my mental JVM is right,
it wouldn't result in inflated scores for documents that match a few "less
common" expanded Terms instead of many common Terms.

But: it still wouldn't solve the TooManyClauses issue, nor would it deal
with the idf concerns markharw00d brought up.

-Hoss