lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <>
Subject Re: Eliminating norms ... completley
Date Mon, 10 Oct 2005 21:45:02 GMT

: > Doesn't this cause a problem for highly interactive and large indexes? Since
: > every update to the index requires the rewriting of the norms, and
: > constructing a new array.
: The original complaint was primarily about search-time memory size, not
: update speed.  I like the proposed patch which addresses both.  I was
: simply noting that there is a way, without patching, to address the
: memory issue.

Sorry for the confusion ... We use a large number of index fields to
facilitate queries, but I was refering to the memory used by our
application on the whole -- which as Robert guessed involes lots of
continuous updates, and periodic optimizes.  From what I can tell, (or I
should say: from what I understand talking to Yonik) the place where the
norms hurt us is during the optimize calls -- particularly after some biz
process has caused a large number of documents to be added to the index.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message