lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Welcome Yonik Seeley as committer!
Date Tue, 25 Oct 2005 10:39:00 GMT

On 25 Oct 2005, at 02:11, Chris Hostetter wrote:
> 1) Wah-Hoo!  Yonik is definitely one of the smartest guys I've
> worked with
> in the past few years.

First, congrats to Yonik and welcome!

> 2) On the subject of commiting and becoming a commiter: I've
> noticed a few
> questions recently about why/when patches can/will-be commited; and
> Yonik's new status has me wondering about how people become
> commiters, and
> what guidelines exist for commiters to know how/when to accept
> patches.

As far as I know there is nothing concrete.  Each project governs
things as they desire.  When a contributor has posted a critical mass
of high quality patches and keeps active, they are a good candidate
to propose a vote for committership.

As for accepting patches - with Lucene I'm personally very
conservative with applying patches.  I prefer to have approval of a
more senior committer - I don't consider myself expert at the lower-
levels of Lucene and do not want to risk any adverse affects.

> This seems like something that would be usefull to toss in the Wiki
> (with
> a pointer from the FAQ).

I'm not sure we can codify the criteria very clearly - it's a very
subjective case-by-case sort of thing.

If you, or someone you respect in the community, desires
committership - the best thing to do is be vocal about it :)

     Erik