lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Shane O'Sullivan <shaneosulliv...@gmail.com>
Subject Adding generic payloads to a Term's posting list
Date Mon, 10 Oct 2005 13:37:43 GMT
Hi,

To the best of my knowledge, it is not possible to add generic data to a
Term's posting list.
By this I mean info that is defined by the search engine, not Lucene itself.
Whereas Lucene adds some data to the posting lists, such as the term's
position within a document,
there are many other useful types of information that could be attached to a
term.

Some examples would be in XML documents, to store the depth of a tag in the
document,
or font information, such as if the term appeared in a header or in the main
body of text.

Are there any plans to add such functionality to the API? If not, where
would be a the appropriate place
to implement these changes? I presume the TermInfosWriter and
TermInfosReader would have to be altered,
as well as the classes which call them. Could this be done without having to
modify the index in such a way
that standard Lucene indexes couldn't read it?

Thanks

Shane