lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Welcome Yonik Seeley as committer!
Date Tue, 25 Oct 2005 16:09:11 GMT
Chris Hostetter wrote:
> 2) On the subject of commiting and becoming a commiter: I've noticed a few
> questions recently about why/when patches can/will-be commited; and
> Yonik's new status has me wondering about how people become commiters, and
> what guidelines exist for commiters to know how/when to accept patches.

Personally, I nominate people to become committers when I see a sequence
of non-trivial, well-constructed patches that may be directly applied to
resolve real issues.  Another thing I watch for is are folks who know
their limits.  None of us are expert at everything.  Thus I appreciate
it when folks show caution in proposing patches, and then respectfully
and patiently listen to other's concerns.  We need committers who can
discuss, not argue.

Formally, the process is that someone nominates, and the PMC votes.
When Lucene was part of Jakarta we used to just have the committers
vote, since we had little contact with the Jakarta PMC.  But now that
Lucene has its own PMC we can do it the official Apache way.

Doug