lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Eliminating norms ... completley
Date Mon, 10 Oct 2005 20:18:59 GMT
Robert Engels wrote:
> Doesn't this cause a problem for highly interactive and large indexes? Since
> every update to the index requires the rewriting of the norms, and
> constructing a new array.

The original complaint was primarily about search-time memory size, not
update speed.  I like the proposed patch which addresses both.  I was
simply noting that there is a way, without patching, to address the
memory issue.

> How expensive is the maintining of the norms on disk, at least in regards to
> index merging?

Norm processing is simple & fast.  But with thousands of rarely used
fields it could become a significant factor in update speed.  As with
all performance questions, the answer requires benchmarking.

Doug