lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Andi Vajda <a...@osafoundation.org>
Subject Re: native lucene
Date Fri, 30 Sep 2005 18:42:15 GMT

> I have heard of it, but I have heard the index files are not compatible
> with lucene, and I have heard it is slow.

It is generally twice as fast as Java Lucene and twice as slow as CLucene, a
fully native C++ port.

As for the index file incompatibility, I seriously doubt it since PyLucene is
compiled from the Lucene 1.4.3 Java sources, so unless there are differences
in the Java runtimes (JRE vs GCJ Runtime) causing them to produce different
and incompatible index files. I must admit though that I never verified it.
That could be a bug.

>> PyLucene is a GCJ and SWIG-wrapped version of Java Lucene.  It is
>> extremely fast.

Its homepage is http://pylucene.osafoundation.org

Andi..