lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "M.Altheim" <M.Alth...@open.ac.uk>
Subject RE: limit return results
Date Wed, 07 Sep 2005 13:35:00 GMT

Erik Hatcher [mailto:erik@ehatchersolutions.com] wrote:

> On Sep 6, 2005, at 10:47 PM, Murray Altheim wrote:
>
> > Erik Hatcher wrote:
> >
> >> Just access the first 100 Hits - simple as that.
> >>      Erik
> >
> > Erik,
> >
> > This question has come up before. For high traffic sites that
> > can't afford to have the search engine accumulating thousands
> > of hits, only to deliver 100, or perhaps just a few, the
> > current approach *seems* like quite a lot of extra processing.
> > Is there some way to have the engine simply stop generating
> > the hit list after it reaches the specified threshold?
>
> The operator word here is "seems".  Do you have any evidence that
> doing a basic .search(Query) and only getting the first 100 results
> is too slow?
>
> The HitCollector option that Otis mentioned is one alternative,
> though I don't think it'll be much, if any, faster.

Erik,

Evidence, no. I'm looking at this from the perspective of the
Open University, where we have over 200,000 students accessing
and searching our online services. Anything that can minimize
the impact on our processors is going to be most welcome, i.e.,
we don't have cycles to waste. If the student is only expecting
the first 10 results and the engine generates 1000, 990 of them
are wasted.

Murray

Murray Altheim                          http://www.altheim.com/murray/
Strategic & Service Development
The Open University Library
Milton Keynes, Bucks, MK7 6AA, UK

          Ils ont l'orteil de Bouc, & d'un Chevreil l'oreille,
          La corne d'un Chamois, & la face vermeille
          Comme un rouge Croissant: & dancent toute nuict
          Dedans un carrefour, ou pres d'une eau qui bruict.