lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <>
Subject Re: limit return results
Date Wed, 07 Sep 2005 12:43:11 GMT

On Sep 6, 2005, at 10:47 PM, Murray Altheim wrote:

> Erik Hatcher wrote:
>> Just access the first 100 Hits - simple as that.
>>      Erik
> Erik,
> This question has come up before. For high traffic sites that
> can't afford to have the search engine accumulating thousands
> of hits, only to deliver 100, or perhaps just a few, the
> current approach *seems* like quite a lot of extra processing.
> Is there some way to have the engine simply stop generating
> the hit list after it reaches the specified threshold?

The operator word here is "seems".  Do you have any evidence that
doing a basic .search(Query) and only getting the first 100 results
is too slow?

The HitCollector option that Otis mentioned is one alternative,
though I don't think it'll be much, if any, faster.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message