lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: limit return results
Date Wed, 07 Sep 2005 17:31:34 GMT

On Sep 7, 2005, at 9:35 AM, M.Altheim wrote:
> Erik,
>
> Evidence, no. I'm looking at this from the perspective of the
> Open University, where we have over 200,000 students accessing
> and searching our online services. Anything that can minimize
> the impact on our processors is going to be most welcome, i.e.,
> we don't have cycles to waste. If the student is only expecting
> the first 10 results and the engine generates 1000, 990 of them
> are wasted.

Keep in mind that the largest performance hit you'll have with
searching is accessing the Document objects itself, generally
speaking.  If you search and get Hits back, and only grab the first
ten Documents, then you should be plenty performant and resource-
friendly enough.  If not, then we'd all be curious to see more
details.  Speaking hypothetically about search performance is
certainly interesting, but in this case it won't take us far without
concrete numbers.

     Erik