lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Murray Altheim <>
Subject Re: limit return results
Date Wed, 07 Sep 2005 02:47:26 GMT
Erik Hatcher wrote:
> Just access the first 100 Hits - simple as that.
>      Erik

This question has come up before. For high traffic sites that
can't afford to have the search engine accumulating thousands
of hits, only to deliver 100, or perhaps just a few, the
current approach *seems* like quite a lot of extra processing.
Is there some way to have the engine simply stop generating
the hit list after it reaches the specified threshold?

> On Sep 6, 2005, at 7:07 PM, haipeng du wrote:
>>How could I limit returned results. There may huge number of
>>documents that
>>match my query, but I just want to get the first 100, for example.
>>Thanks a lot.
>>Haipeng Du
>>Software Engineer
>>Salt Lake City

Murray Altheim
Strategic and Services Development
The Open University Library
The Open University, Milton Keynes, Bucks, MK7 6AA, UK               .

        believe that everything is for
        you until you discover
        that you are for it
                               "The Robin and the Worm" by Don Marquis.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message