lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <>
Subject Re: native lucene
Date Fri, 30 Sep 2005 18:05:15 GMT

On Sep 30, 2005, at 1:55 PM, wrote:
> I have heard of it, but I have heard the index files are not
> compatible
> with lucene, and I have heard it is slow.

That is incorrect.  You're thinking of LuPy, which is a pure native
Python version of Lucene with some known incompatibilities and lower
performance compared to Java Lucene.

PyLucene, however, *is* Java Lucene exactly, so index files are 100%
compatible, and the speed has even been said to be faster than Java
Lucene.  Compared to starting up a JVM to run a command-line tool,
PyLucene is faster at least in that regard.

> Where can I get some accurate metrics.

Inquire with the PyLucene mailing list - they'll have some numbers I
suspect.  But better yet, just try it out and see for yourself.

> Erik, have you seen a project that is using it.

I built some demo code using PyLucene (index man pages) that I used
for a presentation to our local Unix User's Group.  You can find them

The Chandler project makes extensive use of PyLucene.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message