lucene-dev mailing list archives

From <>
Subject Considering lucene
Date Fri, 30 Sep 2005 05:17:14 GMT

My name is Palmik Bijani and I have recently started a new software company
in India. After initial research, Lucene has surfaced as a leading contender
for our needs. We have also purchased the Lucene book which we are expecting
in a couple weeks. However, I was hoping to get an answer to the following
as we are unable to find this information from everything we have read so
far on Lucene. We don’t know if the book covers this requirement of ours.

Our requirement is for row based keyword search in a single very large text
file which can potentially hold millions of rows (with delimited fields per
row). In other words, we would like Lucene to filter and return only the row
numbers within a file for the respective row that hold the keywords we query
for a particular field in each row.

>From everything we have seen so far, Lucene can handle a large set of files
and tokenizes the keywords within each file and returns the matching file
name per keyword – but I have not seen anything about segmenting and
searching by rows.

>From Lucene’s context, one can think of each row as a separate file, field
data within each row as document content, and each row number as the unique
file name.

>From what I have read about Lookoutsoft had used Lucene for Outlook email
searches, it seems to me that it should be possible as fundamentally even
email searching is row based.

Is our requirement something that Lucene can inherently handle well, or
would it require extensive tweaking and code changes on our end?

Your response is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.