lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Andi Vajda <>
Subject Re: Lucene does NOT use UTF-8
Date Mon, 29 Aug 2005 18:38:42 GMT

>> If the rest of the world of Lucene ports followed suit with PyLucene  and
>> did the GCJ/SWIG thing, we'd have no problems :)  What are the
>> disadvantages to following this model with Plucene?
> Some parts of the Lucene API require subclassing (e. g., Analyzer) and SWIG
> does support cross-language polymorphism only for a few languages, notably
> Python and Java but not for Perl. Noticing the smiley I won't mention the
> zillion other reasons not to use the "GCJ/SWIG thing".

Yes, that's true, Java Lucene requires a bunch of subclassing to truly shine
in any sizable application. I didn't use SWIG's director feature to implement
extension but a more or less hardcarved SWIG-in-reverse trick that can easily
be reproduced by other such SWIG-based ports.
See for more details...

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message