lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Maros Ivanco <maros_iva...@datalan.sk>
Subject lucene API
Date Wed, 17 Aug 2005 13:26:34 GMT

Hi there,

   I am creating a search solution based on Lucene. A part of the solution
   is Lucene web service. Even though the Lucene API is very straitforward
   to use on a local machine, I found creation of Lucene WS to be extremely
   difficult. The problem causes the API, which very often does not obey
   even trivial coding conventions (getter and setter names, for instance).
   As a result, the jax-rpc subsystem is unable to produce correct
   serializers and deserializers. From my point of view, there are serveral
   possibilities to solve the problem:

 1., write envelopes for nonserializable objects (Document, Field, Term,
 ...)
 2., write custom serializers and deserializers
 3., change lucene API

1. requires creation of many envelopes, since most of the Lucene classes do
not obey JavaBean semantics thus, they are not serializable by jax-rpc.
Wrapping and uwrapping of Lucene objects takes extra processing. Moreover,
the un/wrapping is sometimes not possible, because some objects (Filters,
for instance) do not exhibit their full state. I am doing this right now
(and doing, and doing,... I cannot see the end :-)).

2. requires creation of de/serializer for every nonserializable class. Also
requires extra configuration + generation of factories. Twice as difficult
as solution 1. Moreover, this solution renders resulting WS as nonportable.

3. requires change of lucene API in the way that will allow either direct
de/serialization or, at least, the solution 1. As far as Lucene is open
sourced, everybody can make changes, but the real question is, whether the
changes will become part of the official distribution. If not, the overall
search solution will remain stucked with current release.

I would personally prefer the third one, but only if the changes will make
it to the official release. Our company plans to deploy several instances
of the solution. There is certain probability, that my employer will
contribute some resources (my time) to the project. The question is,
whether the contemporary development comunity is willing to accept this
kind of changes and if I can participate. So, is it?

Maros.