lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert Engels" <reng...@ix.netcom.com>
Subject RE: lucene API
Date Thu, 18 Aug 2005 16:59:11 GMT
Sorry, but I don't think you have a clear understanding of web services.

In order to design a really useful WebService it is almost always best to
create a web service API that is drastically different (usually much
simpler) than the underlying systems API.

Think of the web service interface to most financial systems. The "records"
they return are usually a small subset of the information maintained by the
system - if they tried to expose the underlying system directly it would
takes years for a single client to be developed.

Most webservices must be consumed by systems that have no concept of
objects, inheritance, etc. so attempting to expose a complex system
interface using automated tools and have it work with all clients is
futile - it may be possible, but it certainly wouldn't be very useful.

For an example, take a look at the google web api. There are no methods to
perform inserts, not that they couldn't allow it, they just decided not to.

In the same vain, there is no reason you cannot develop simpler, flat
objects and interfaces for Lucene (a web doc, a web search request, a web
insert request).

Lucene is a library api. Most web service APIs use a far simpler "consumer"
interface.

Robert Engels