lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Smith <psm...@aconex.com>
Subject Re: Map-Reduce
Date Thu, 04 Aug 2005 22:16:34 GMT

On 05/08/2005, at 4:10 AM, Doug Cutting wrote:

> Doug Cutting wrote:
>
>> Perhaps we need to factor Nutch into two projects, one with NDFS
>> and MapReduce and the other with the search-specific code.  This
>> falls almost exactly on package lines.  The packages
>> org.apache.nutch.{io,ipc,fs,ndfs,mapred} are not dependent on the
>> rest of Nutch.
>>

> FYI, over on the nutch-dev list, I just proposed that we split
> these packages into a new project that Nutch then depends on, since
> there seems to be interest in using them independently of Nutch.
> Such a split probably wouldn't happen for at least a month.
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/nutch-dev%40lucene.apache.org/
> msg00312.html

Awesome, thanks Doug!  I really believe that having this out as a
separate project will be more useful for everyone.   This will also
give more exposure to Nutch and Lucene as a whole, because people
will experiment with the NDFS/MapReduce stuff first (smaller thing to
comprehend first).

cheers,

Paul