lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: Lucene does NOT use UTF-8
Date Mon, 29 Aug 2005 19:16:50 GMT

Eric Hatcher wrote...

> What, if any, performance impact would changing Java Lucene in this
> regard have?

And Ken Krugler wrote...

> "Lucene writes strings as a VInt representing the length of the
> string in Java chars (UTF-16 code units), followed by the character
> data."

I had been working under the assumption that the value of the VInt
would be changed as well.  It seemed logical that if strings were
encoded with legal UTF-8, the count at the head should indicate
either 1) the number of UTF-8 characters in the string, or 2) the
number of bytes occupied by the encoded string.

Do either of those and more substantial changes to Java Lucene would
be required.  I expect that the impact on performance could be made
negligible for the first option, but the question of backwards
compatibility would become a lot messier.

It simply had not occurred to me to keep the VInt as is.  If you do
that, this becomes a much more localized problem.

For Plucene, I'll avoid the gory details and just say that having the
VInt continue to represent UTF-16 code units limits the availability
of certain options, but doesn't cause major inefficiencies.  Now that
we know that's what it does, we can work with it.  A transition to
always-legal UTF-8 obviates the need to scan for and fix the edge
cases, and addresses my main concern.

Marvin Humphrey
Rectangular Research
http://www.rectangular.com/