lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Map-Reduce
Date Thu, 04 Aug 2005 15:13:04 GMT
Paul Smith wrote:
> I know there's a mapreduce branch in the nutch project, but is there
> any plan/talk of perhaps integrating something like that directly  into
> the Lucene API?  For projects that need a lower-level API like  Lucene,
> rather than the crawl-like nature of Nutch, the potential to  index lots
> of information in an efficient manner is very appealing  indeed.

You can easily use NDFS and MapReduce from Nutch without using Nutch's
crawler.

Perhaps we need to factor Nutch into two projects, one with NDFS and
MapReduce and the other with the search-specific code.  This falls
almost exactly on package lines.  The packages
org.apache.nutch.{io,ipc,fs,ndfs,mapred} are not dependent on the rest
of Nutch.

But you don't need to wait for such a split in order to use NDFS and
MapReduce.  Just check out the mapred branch from SVN and don't use the
parts you don't need.  If you find it useful, then argue for the
creation of a new project.

Doug