lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: IndexWriter and system properties
Date Tue, 12 Jul 2005 10:05:18 GMT

On Jul 11, 2005, at 5:56 PM, Daniel Naber wrote:
> there's a bug report (#34359) asking to catch and ignore access
> exceptions
> when reading system properties so Lucene can be used in an applet. I
> wanted to apply that patch, but now I'm not sure anymore: does it make
> sense for Lucene to read settings from system properties? Shouldn't
> that
> be left to the application that uses Lucene? There are set... calls
> for
> most of these settings, so it's trivial to implement this for a
> user of
> Lucene.

The reading of system properties has been a "problem" with Lucene.
It can be problematic where different settings are needed within the
same JVM as well as the applet (and certainly also WebStart)
deployments you mention.

I'm all for pulling out the internal use of system properties,
leaving the defaults as-is.

     Erik