lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Wolfgang Hoschek <whosc...@lbl.gov>
Subject Re: Analyzer as an Interface?
Date Tue, 19 Jul 2005 20:11:17 GMT
On Jul 19, 2005, at 12:58 PM, Daniel Naber wrote:

> Hi,
>
> currently Analyzer is an abstract class. Shouldn't we make it an
> Interface?
> Currently that's not possible, but it will be as soon as the
> deprecated
> method is removed (i.e. after Lucene 1.9).
>
> Regards
>  Daniel

Daniel, what's the use case that would make this a significant
improvement over extending and overriding the single abstract method?
Classes that implement multiple interfaces? For consistency, similar
thoughts would apply to TokenStream, IndexReader/Writer, etc. Also
note that once it's become an interface the API is effectively frozen
forever. With abstract classes the option remains open to later add
methods with a default impl. (e.g. tokenStream(String fieldName,
String text) or whatever).

Thanks,
Wolfgang.