lucene-dev mailing list archives

From DM Smith <dmsmith...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: IndexWriter and system properties
Date Tue, 12 Jul 2005 13:21:01 GMT
 From the perspective of a user of Lucene:
IMHO, having system properties for a third-party library is not good:
1) System properties are not explicit in the library's api.
2) System properties are applied non-local to the use of a library's api.
3) System properties represents global variables, not local control.
4) System properties may or may not be cached. If cached, this may be
early enough to make it hard to set it after application startup.
5) System properties force an application to have additional mechanisms
for startup.
6) System properties are seldom documented well.