lucene-dev mailing list archives

From DM Smith <dmsmith...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Proposal for change to DefaultSimilarity's lengthNorm to fix "short document" problem
Date Fri, 08 Jul 2005 12:19:58 GMT
At crosswire.org we are using Lucene to index Bibles with each Bible
having its own index and each
verse in the Bible is a document in the index. So each document is
short. Length depends upon the
language of translation, but the lengths are from 2 to less than 100.

In our case the existing bias seems appropriate and it does not appear
to break down for extremely
short documents.

I would suggest that if the bias is changed that it be based upon the
length and distribution of documents
in the index. Or it be driven by programmer supplied parameters.