lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert Engels" <>
Subject RE: Lucene vs. Ruby/Odeum
Date Wed, 01 Jun 2005 23:48:26 GMT
I think I am going to start a new Blog - "Zed's an Idiot".

-----Original Message-----
From: Erik Hatcher []
Sent: Wednesday, June 01, 2005 6:39 PM
Subject: Re: Lucene vs. Ruby/Odeum

On Jun 1, 2005, at 6:07 PM, Daniel Naber wrote:

> On Tuesday 17 May 2005 04:41, Otis Gospodnetic wrote:
> Here's a follow up:
> Now the claim is that Lucene is faster than Ruby/Odeum but it takes 36
> times more memory. However, I cannot find any information on how
> exactly
> Lucene was started. It's no surprise that Java requires much memory
> and
> doesn't clean up if it never comes close to the limit set with -Xmx.

I went around several times in e-mail with Zed, the author of this
comparison after his follow-up.  His paraphrasing of me in there is
only partially sort of what I said to him.  He's instantiating an
IndexSearcher inside a tight loop which I told him was a very bad
thing to do with Lucene and that his loops are so tight that garbage
collection isn't getting a chance to kick in.  He doesn't currently
believe some of this from me, and also feels that adjusting the code
to make Lucene happy is being unfair.

I wish the RubyLucene folks would hurry up and get a port over there
so that we could compare against Ruby/Odeum "fairly" :)

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: