lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Lucene vs. Ruby/Odeum
Date Wed, 01 Jun 2005 23:39:27 GMT

On Jun 1, 2005, at 6:07 PM, Daniel Naber wrote:

> On Tuesday 17 May 2005 04:41, Otis Gospodnetic wrote:
>

>> http://www.zedshaw.com/projects/ruby_odeum/performance.html
>>

> Here's a follow up:
> http://www.zedshaw.com/projects/ruby_odeum/odeum_lucene_part2.html
>
> Now the claim is that Lucene is faster than Ruby/Odeum but it takes 36
> times more memory. However, I cannot find any information on how
> exactly
> Lucene was started. It's no surprise that Java requires much memory
> and
> doesn't clean up if it never comes close to the limit set with -Xmx.

I went around several times in e-mail with Zed, the author of this
comparison after his follow-up.  His paraphrasing of me in there is
only partially sort of what I said to him.  He's instantiating an
IndexSearcher inside a tight loop which I told him was a very bad
thing to do with Lucene and that his loops are so tight that garbage
collection isn't getting a chance to kick in.  He doesn't currently
believe some of this from me, and also feels that adjusting the code
to make Lucene happy is being unfair.

I wish the RubyLucene folks would hurry up and get a port over there
so that we could compare against Ruby/Odeum "fairly" :)

     Erik