lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Wolfgang Hoschek <whosc...@lbl.gov>
Subject Re: Lucene vs. Ruby/Odeum
Date Thu, 02 Jun 2005 22:19:52 GMT
 > poor java startup time

For the one's really keen on reducing startup time the Jolt Java VM
daemon may perhaps be of some interest:
http://www.dystance.net/software/jolt/index.html

I played with it a year ago when I was curious to see what could be
done about startup time in the context of simple unix-scriptable
command line XML webservice clients (the ones that require tons of
jars as dependencies and take ages to initialize). Startup time went
from 3-5 secs to zero. Feels like "ls" - you hit ENTER and the
program completes *instantly*. Of course there's a catch. It requires
some more work, and it's not a general solution wrt. isolation,
security, reliability, etc. but for a simple command line lucene
query tool it might just do fine, FWIW.

Long-term Sun's MVM might be a more comprehensive solution, with some
luck.

Wolfgang.