lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject build process changes
Date Mon, 02 May 2005 01:27:08 GMT
I have done some extensive rearranging of the build system to
facilitate the inclusion of the contrib pieces into future source and
binary distributions.  I'll describe it in more detail below.

First - if you have any problems with the Lucene build process as it
currently stands in Subversion, let me know.  All existing targets
should still work as it did before.  Just typing "ant" will build the
Lucene JAR file as it has done.

The building of the contrib components individually still needs some
adjustments, but the pieces do build successfully for me.  To build all
the contrib pieces now, run "ant build-contrib" at the top-level.
Running "dist-all" target incorporates the contrib pieces into the
source and binary .zip/.tar.gz files.

Please provide feedback on what, if anything, needs to be changed to
make it viable for a 1.9 release.  I will continue to tinker with the
odds and ends.  Some known issues are that only JAR files build by the
contrib projects are put into the distribution, which means
contrib/javascript is not distributed currently.  Javadoc documentation
is built into the main documentation, but any other documentation
within a contrib project is not incorporated (though there isn't much
documentation to distribute on these pieces anyway, unfortunately).
Running unit tests of all the contrib components as part of the main
build is not done.

I believe it was Doug that had proposed the following:
  ---
  "ant dist" will create something like:

       dist/
         lucene-XX.tar.gz
         lucene-src-XX.tar.gz
         lucene-XX.zip
         lucene-src-XX.zip
         contrib/
           highligher-XX.tar.gz
   ---

However it seems much simpler for us to only distribute
lucene-XX.tar.gz/zip and lucene-XX-src.tar.gz/.zip rather than
distributing each contrib component separately.  The current build
process builds the same 4 distribution files as before rather than one
set for each component.  What are your thoughts on what files we should
actually distribute?  There is merit to having them all bundled
together, built at the same time, and labeled the same to ensure
compatibility.  And there is also an argument to be made to letting
each component release on its own cycle.  We could have both - but
perhaps for 1.9/2.0 we should keep it simple and bundle it all together
and revisit individual component releases then.  Distributing the
binaries of these components is a huge improvement over the "do it
yourself" procedure before, so we'll already have a huge improvement in
our distribution I think.

	Erik