lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: contrib/queryParsers/surround
Date Mon, 30 May 2005 00:44:35 GMT
I concur with Daniel on this.  For the moment, my preference is to
bring in Paul's parser into contrib/surround and let it gain some
additional exposure there.  I don't believe its possible or even
preferable to attempt to build one query parser to rule them all.
While a decent general purpose one is handy, I'm finding that my
projects really demand more custom parsing capabilities than the
built-in QueryParser can handle and that the quirks of the current
parser cause some frustrations sometimes.

Perhaps over time, the built-in QueryParser can adopt some additional
capabilities such as supporting the SpanQuery family but let's take
that sort of thing slowly.

     Erik