lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Scott Ganyo <sc...@ganyo.com>
Subject Re: Lucene vs. Ruby/Odeum
Date Tue, 17 May 2005 14:33:16 GMT
Interesting, but questionable.  I can imagine three problems with the
write-up just off-hand:

1) JVM startup time.  As the author noted, this can be an issue with
short-running Java applications.

2) JVM warm-up time.  The HotSpot VM is designed to optimize itself
and become faster over time rather than being the fastest right out
of the blocks.

3) Data access patterns.  It is possible (I don't know) that Odeum is
designed for quick one-time search on the data without reading and
caching the index like Lucene does for subsequent queries.

In each case, there is a common theme:  Lucene and Java are designed
to perform better for longer-running applications... not start,
lookup, and terminate utilities.