lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <>
Subject Re: build process changes
Date Tue, 03 May 2005 00:37:30 GMT
On May 2, 2005, at 2:52 PM, Doug Cutting wrote:
> Thanks for doing all this!  It looks great!

*whew* - thanks.  As always, let me know if there is anything further
I can do.  I'll tidy things up as I go with it.

>> What are your thoughts on what files we should actually
>> distribute?  There is merit to having them all bundled together,
>> built at the same time, and labeled the same to ensure
>> compatibility.  And there is also an argument to be made to
>> letting each component release on its own cycle.
> I think it is a bad idea to release contrib stuff on its own cycle.
> Release coherence was the major reason to bring everything under a
> single source tree.  How the files are packaged is the only real
> question.
> I think bundling everything into a single download, as you've done,
> is good.  Keeping the jars separate, but with synchronized version
> numbers, is what's important.  You've done this.  Thanks!
> My only amdendment might be to place all of the contrib jars in a
> single directory.

My rationale for keeping all the contrib components in their own
subdirectories was to allow room for eventual documentation or other
files that might want to come along for the ride (like maybe a
dependent ASL'd JAR?).

I'd be happy to change it if that is the desire though.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message