lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: One Byte is Seven bits too many? - A Design suggestion
Date Mon, 23 May 2005 15:58:47 GMT
Robert Engels wrote:
> I have always thought that the norms should be an interface, rather than
> fixed, as there are many uses of lucene where norms are not necessary, and
> the memory overhead is substantial.

I agree, but that's not the whole story.

If one seeks merely to avoid caching the norms in RAM, then all that is
required is a Scorer that does not access the norms.  Thus an
implementation of the constant scoring query proposal (discussed in
another thread) would suffice to save memory at search time.

Long term, I would like Lucene to have an extensible index format.  One
should be able to have different fields use different representations,
e.g., without norms, without positions, with a boost per position, with
alternate compression algorithms, etc.  (This is item 11 on
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-lucene/Lucene2Whiteboard, which I doubt
will be a part of Lucene 2.0.)

Doug