lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Lucene vs. Ruby/Odeum
Date Tue, 17 May 2005 12:34:09 GMT

On May 16, 2005, at 10:41 PM, Otis Gospodnetic wrote:
> Some interesting stuff...
>
> http://www.zedshaw.com/projects/ruby_odeum/performance.html

That's nice flamebait for sure.  The fact of the matter is that JVM
startup speed is a well-known issue and to truly compare indexing/
searching speed the startup of the Ruby interpreter or JVM should not
be included.

Practically though, if your searches are occurring from command-line
tools then certainly the startup of the VM is a factor to consider,
sure.  But in the Java world, most uses of Lucene would not be from a
command-line tool in this manner.

All that said - Odeum and the Ruby wrapper to it appear to be well
done and deserve great credit.

I am working on phasing more of my work into Ruby, so full-text
search in that environment is important to me (even if it means
having Java Lucene server communicating to Ruby).

The Ruby (and Rails) hype is a bit too antagonistic towards Java, and
the same is true in reverse with a lot of Java folks defensive
against Ruby.  Ruby is a great language and I likely will be
developing more and more there.

     Erik