lucene-dev mailing list archives

Subject About search books?
Date Fri, 15 Apr 2005 11:33:51 GMT
Hello everybody,
I am trying to put together a search engine specific for books.
Is there anybody that can give me some advice?

in particular, i have some questions:
- beside hardware requirements, do you guys think Lucene will perfrom well
running searches over an index of about 10K TextDocuments? (around 800 pages
each). What if the search is a PhraseSearch with a slop = 10 ?
- If performance will be poor, I tought about index "single" document's
page... but i need to "group" the results so I can show "distinct" book,
not pages. At this opint i guess it will be like handle 10K * 800 docs..right?
8 Millions doc?
- The second option will make my life easier to highlight the results on
a page basis.
- If I decide split the index on several Server and use the RemoteSearcher,
will it perform well? or there is too much RMI overhead??

Any suggestions/feedbacks are very appreciated.

Thank you.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message