lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Guillermo Payet <gpa...@localharvest.org>
Subject running out of file handles
Date Fri, 15 Apr 2005 04:12:41 GMT
Hi,

We have one instance of IndexSearcher that's used for our entire
web application. It's instantiated from a bean that's instantiated
with a scope="application" useBean tag in Tomcat. This bean uses
"static IndexSearcher is" to define the Index Searcher.

In any case...  the point being that we want to just have one
IndexSearcher for the whole App.

But..  were starting to run out of file handles on our server,
and an lsof returns lots and lots of these:

  java 22755 tomcat 320r REG 9,3 2992899 1177377 /var/ix/_2a8.cfs (deleted)
  java 22755 tomcat 321r REG 9,3 2994664 1177378 /var/ix/_2aa.cfs

They accumulate until we end up with thousands of them, which breaks
the whole thing.

Now, I've verified that there really is only one instance of
IndexSearcher which is being instantiated only once.  But...   Why is
it opening the index file many times?  Should it load the index into
memory only once?

Is this "working as designed"?  Are we doing something wrong?

BTW:  We get about 46,000 daily page views.  About 10% of those
are for Lucene searches.

Any clues?  Should I post our code here??

Thanks!

  --G

--
Guillermo Payet
L O C A L  H A R V E S T

Every Morning I awake torn between a desire to save the world and
an inclination to savor it.  This makes it hard to plan the day.

                                                       -E.B.White