lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Guillermo Payet <gpa...@localharvest.org>
Subject Re: Using Lucene, longitude-latitude, and interacting on "search"
Date Mon, 11 Apr 2005 23:43:59 GMT
Hi Garret,

I've been wanting to work on this for ages, but have been way too
busy.  Seems like I'll be able to put some time into it, finally,
though.

Right now, our website (localharvest.org) uses Lucene for our
"store" search engine, which has no GIS component, and uses
plain old MySQL full text search plus some great circle functions
for geographical searches on our main search engine.  I'd like
to add "in rectangle" and/or "center and radius" search terms
to Lucene, so that we can use it on our main search engine.

Should we collaborate on this?

    --G

On Sat, Apr 09, 2005 at 10:56:37AM +0200, Stefan F. Keller wrote:
> On Apr 9, 2005 2:03 AM, Garrett Rooney <rooneg@electricjellyfish.net> wrote:
> > Tim Archambault wrote:
> > > I'd like to save longitude and latitude data points in my lucene index for
> > > businesses, churches, etc. Is the obvious way to store the longitude values
> > > as keywords in the format "00.000". Then on the search phase I can compare
> > > the "derived" mathematical location for say a registered users lat/long home
> > > address from my registered user database and compare with search results?
> > > ...and based on LUCENE IN ACTION example, I can boost search results based
> > > on proximity from point "index" to point "search."
> > >
> > > Thanks for any help. For some context, this is a newspaper web site.
> >
> > I think you probably wanted to send this to java-dev@lucene.apache.org,
> > not c-dev@l.a.o.
> >
> > -garrett
>
> If you mean that you store lat/long as additional fields (without need
> of indexing) there is nothing special to do in Lucene: just retrieve
> it and compare it with your separate users  database.
>
> But if you want to index your coordinates for fast spatial search,
> then you'll need a 'two-dimensional' index function/algorithm. If the
> users database is a based on a currenct DB, then it will probably have
> a "spatial extension".
>
> If you want Lucene to do an efficient index search on lat/lon then
> you'll have to implement a spatial index. Look for "space filling
> curve" or r-tree in your favourite search engine.
>
> -- Stefan

Guillermo Payet
L O C A L  H A R V E S T
http://www.localharvest.org

Every Morning I awake torn between a desire to save the world and
an inclination to savor it.  This makes it hard to plan the day.

                                                       -E.B.White