lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r156600 - in lucene/java/trunk/src: java/org/apache/lucene/queryParser/precedence/PrecedenceQueryParser.java java/org/apache/lucene/queryParser/precedence/PrecedenceQueryParser.jj test/org/apache/lucene/queryParser/precedence/TestPrecedenceQueryParser.java
Date Wed, 09 Mar 2005 09:52:02 GMT
On Mar 9, 2005, at 3:57 AM, Daniel Naber wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 March 2005 04:21, ehatcher@apache.org wrote:
>
>> remove pesky static parse method that stymies flexibility
>
> That will make it difficult to make this the new default parser (i.e.
> rename
> it toQueryParser) as people will get a compile error then. Instead it
> should
> be deprecated (but I'm not sure why this method is a problem... I
> think it's
> often handy).

Ok, I'll add it back as deprecated when its renamed to QueryParser.

It's a nuisance to have that static method when making a subclass of
QueryParser - since static methods are not overridable it would be easy
to mistakenly call the parent static parse method which would
instantiate QueryParser rather than QueryParserSubclass.  It's easy
enough for someone to create their own utility convenience method to
call to QueryParser or a custom subclass.

	Erik