lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Interfaces
Date Thu, 17 Mar 2005 15:21:32 GMT

On Mar 17, 2005, at 9:15 AM, Maik Schreiber wrote:

>> Pragmatically, have you ever had addDocument fail?  If not, then what
>> peace of mind are you getting from such a test?
>
> The test I've shown is not supposed to test if addDocument() fails or
> not, but to test if addDocument() is invoked at all. The tested method
> was Foo.foo(), which could be doing more things that could possibly
> fail before addDocument() is invoked at all.

Point taken.

Ease of unit testing is a reasonable argument for refactoring Lucene's
API to be more interface-based - agreed.  However, the primary focus of
Lucene is and always will be performance.  It would be important to
demonstrate that resource utilization and performance are not adversely
affected by such changes.

Again, Doug needs to be the one to approve such a refactoring.

	Erik